When we first moved in we discovered that our bathtub was a little bit scary. There was a mat that had been stuck onto the tub floor, and it appeared that there were things growing out from underneath it. My mom conquered the top of the mat, so that we could stand carefully while showering on a clean surface. This was the perfect solution for the first few weeks.
Then the adhesive came off the mat, and now the mat moved around mid-shower. Andrew coined “Shower Surfing” for the task that it became to keep the mat in the middle of the tub, covering the now exposed grossness underneath. At this point we realized something had to change.
Andrew came home Monday night and started trying to clean the bottom with a magic eraser. HA! After next attempting a library card, the tool of choice became a razor blade. He scraped away for 2+ hours at whatever was on the bathtub floor. When he cleaned it all out, I went over the area with a magic eraser, and then we disinfected the area for good measure with scrubbing bubbles. To top it all off, we put the clean mat back on, just to be safe.
Here is a mid-way project and after project picture. It was so gross I couldn’t look until Andrew had already put 1 1/2 hours of work in, so clearly it was much worse to begin with. But now we can shower, worry free. Still not sure I would take a bath in it though…